Monday, 2 April 2012

Cockatoo release postponed

Our first attempt at releasing the cockatoos went well until a fire started less than 2km from the release site. We were all ready to go with the birds safe in pet packs and about 50 people, mostly volunteers from Kaarakin Black Cockatoo Rehabilitation Centre and Native Animal Rescue, turned up to watch. It was a noisy place to be with all the helicopers and planes circling around to drop water on the flames as well as fire engines with sirens screaming. Not the best environment to release a group of cockatoos so we chose to postpone the release.