Wednesday 22 January 2014

Turning science into public policy

I recently found out that I have been awarded a Wentworth Group Science Scholarship! I'll be going to Sydney in March to attend a Master Class where I will meet some of Australia's leading scientists.

The Wentworth Group of Concerned Scientists aim to incorporate more science into public policy, to drive innovation, and to implement solutions to improve the management of Australia's land, water, marine and coastal resources.

The entire purpose of my project has been to identify what it is that Carnaby's cockatoos need to survive in the urban landscape. The  next step is to ensure that those important elements are protected or enhanced through conservation strategies and public policy including urban planning and clearing application assessments. The scholarship will help me package the findings from my project so that they can be readily incorporated into public policy.